Embellish It

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Spotlight on Guest Designer Julie Glasow

I'd like to introduce you to December's Guest Designer Julie Glasgow!

Julie used American Craft's Blue Skies Collection on her card!

1. How long have you been stamping, how did you start?!

I have been stamping for 12 years. I started when my daughter was born. It actually all started with scrapbooking. My first scrapbook was created as a Christmas gift for my parents. In putting the book together, I found that I was having a problem with stickers. I loved them so much, but once I used them, they were gone and I could not use them again. Then, a neighbor invited me to a Stampin’ Up! workshop. I loved the images, and I could use them again and again. I got hooked on stamping. I love to add stamped images to my scrapbook pages, and also love that I can use the images on cards. I spent several years as a Stampin’ Up! demonstrator, but have now retired to just enjoy the artistic venture.

2. What is your creative ritual when creating?!

I usually start with an image, some paper, or a sketch I want to use. I often start with a sketch for sketch challenges because they give me a clear jumping off point. Once I have chosen my stamp and paper, I choose Copics colors to match my paper. I will then color my image, watching along the way to be sure it matches the color scheme of the paper. Then, if using a sketch, I cut my paper and image to reflect the elements in the sketch and put the pieces together. Sometimes, at this point, I get a hankering to use embossing folders or die cuts. I try to remember not to glue it down right away, just in case I want to add ribbon or brads, because I don’t want those to show on the inside of the card. I will then look at the card to see what areas need to be filled in. I usually choose flowers because I just love flowers. I also like brads, charms and Dew Drops to add that extra flair. I should let you know that I am a messy crafter. I like everything neat and organized, but it never ends up that way.

3. What is your favorite embellishment?!

FLOWERS! I just love Prima’s. I also really love embossing folders, brads, ribbon, Dew Drops, and other types of flair.

4. Where do you draw inspiration from?!

I am seriously addicted to blogging. I have a few favorite crafters from around the world that really inspire me to stretch beyond my norm and go the extra mile in the artistic aspect of stamping. I also find inspiration in color choices from designer papers, clothing, and sunsets, anything that has color patterns that evoke emotion.

5. What does your work say about you?!

Unfortunately, I think my work reveals something about me that is not necessarily a good thing. I am a bit of a perfectionist. I have a desire to be the best, so I am always striving to improve my style. However, stamping also helps me in so many ways, especially as a stress reliever. It allows me to leave the left, analytical side of my brain behind for a while and just be free to create.

6. What are you reading right now?!

I just finished reading Prairie Tale (Melissa Gilbert’s Autobiography). Since then, I have been exercising the left side of my brain by doing logic problems. Other than that, I read blog posts. I suppose I am fascinated by real people and real lives. Blogs are an opportunity to get to know real people from all over the world. I love getting to know other crafters.

You can see more of Julie's work in her EIO GALLERY and on HER BLOG!

~michelle~

No comments:

Post a Comment